It just flashed across ESPN that Brett Favre has told the Vikings he will inform them of his decision on returning by the start of training camp on July 30. And you can bet that, if Brett says he’ll give them his answer by the 30th, that means he’ll give it on the 30th, as close to midnight of the 31st as possible.
It has long seemed a forgone conclusion that Favre would be signing with the Vikings, but, you know, there are no guarantees in life. I’m not saying it won’t happen, I’m just saying, I hope some people, if it doesn’t happen, don’t wind up on a ledge some place having to be talked down. I for one am prepared to embrace Favre if he does arrive, and laugh mockingly if he doesn’t. And I’m not going to spend the entire season in a funk if the whole thing doesn’t pan out. I’m a realist.