You didn’t even need to be on the phone for Mike Mayock’s epic Tuesday pre-combine conference call, cause everything he said was immediately posted on Twitter.
Mike Mayock isn’t even on Twitter, and today he owned Twitter.
Some of what Mayock said was worthy of note. Derek Carr a back-of-the-first-round guy? Take note Vikings mock drafters.
But outside of the occasional useful nugget, let’s be honest, most of what Mayock said was the same stuff other guys have been saying for weeks if not months.
People pay attention to Mayock cause he’s on TV and he’s established a name brand, but that doesn’t mean he’s exactly throwing out a ton of new information or outside-the-box evaluations.
Having sorted through most of what was tweeted out on Mayock’s conference call, I’m calling these the ten most obvious Mayock observations of the day.
10. “Michael Sam is a third-to-fifth-round talent.” No duh Mayock. Who thought he was higher than that?
9. “It’s the best wide receiver draft I’ve seen in years.” Lots of folks have been saying this. Not a revelation.
8. “The ideal scenario for the Jaguars would be to land a QB at #3.” Yeah, Jacksonville kind of needs a QB. Good call there Mike.
7. “The Raiders need a quarterback and players.” Is that all?
6. “Blake Bortles is underdeveloped.” So, he’s not Andrew Luck. Oh.
5. “No QBs this year are slam dunks like Andrew Luck.” I really thought AJ McCarron might be, but I guess not.
4. “Johnny Manziel is a different evaluation. You have to buy into what he brings.” Right, he’s not great in the pocket. Right, we’ve heard that. Right right right.
3. “I’m not sure about Jadeveon Clowney’s mental makeup.” Neither is Nolan Nawrocki.
2. “Teddy Bridgewater is the most pro-ready quarterback.” Stop the presses!
1. “I’m not sure the Browns know which quarterback fits them.” I’m not sure the Browns know anything, period. Maybe they should hire Mayock. The conference calls would be epic.