Ever since he was drafted, most Minnesota Vikings fans have used “CP” as a nickname for rookie Wide Receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. He doesn’t seem to mind that nickname, but in an interview with Willie McGinest, it was revealed that Patterson preferred a different nickname. He urged fans to call him “Flash” instead.
“Flash” is not a new nickname for an athlete. Here is a short list of other sports stars that use the nickname:
- -BMX, Cross-Country and road racing rider David Juarez has the nickname “Hollifield Flash”. Juarez was a 1995 Pan Am Games Gold Medalist as well as being the national champion four times in the 24 hour endurance races (2001-2o04).
- -”Flash 80″ was the nickname for NFL Hall of Fame legend Jerry Rice. Jerry is a 12 time All-Pro and 3 time Super Bowl winner. Rice is best known for his time as a member of the San Francisco 49ers as one of the best Wide Receivers of all time.
- -The NHL’s Teemu Selänne was given the nickname “The Finnish Flash” as a winger while playing hockey. Selänne is currently an alternate captain for the Anaheim Ducks. He has also played for the Winnepeg Jets, San Jose Sharks, and Colorado Avalanche. Selänne is possibly best known for his play in the Olympic Games, where he is the all-time points leader in Men’s Ice Hockey.
- -Most recently, the nickname “Flash” has been associated with Miami Heat Guard Dwayne Wade. As part of Miami’s “Big Three”, “The Flash” has gone on to be a nine time All-Star and three time NBA World Champion. He is also the leading scoring in the history of the Miami Heat franchise.
- -This list would not be complete without “Flash” Gordon. Rugby’s Michael Gordon became an immediate fan favorite when he kicked 23 consecutive goals before missing one. Gordon was also able to play Fullback, Wing, and Centre.
Time will tell whether or not Patterson goes on to earn the nickname “Flash”, but it would definitely be confusing for him to stay as “CP”. Vikings Quarterback Christian Ponder has the nickname “CP7″ but hasn’t exactly earned that honor yet, either. Whatever Patterson decides he wants to be called, the Vikings are hoping that he can develop into a superstar Wide Receiver in the NFL.