1. Looks like Robert Griffin III is going to play. Still, pretty scary moment for him and the team, getting blasted like that. Any concerns about his being able to stay healthy? Are they running him too much?
It was a scary moment, but if you have watched RG3 closely over his career dating back to Baylor, he is not going to shy away from contact even after he’s been blasted. I do believe that he will adjust and learn not to take on linebackers and linemen but the DBs are in trouble. That hit only happened because he didn’t expect to be lunged at. Now that he has gotten his first big hit out of the way he will adapt. Soon defenses would have to play off and spy. This would decrease blitzes and open up the middle of the field.
2. Overall assessment of RG3 so far?
Overall I believe he has shown why it was worth it to trade up to get him. Having a quarterback that plays fearless and knows how to control the game makes a big difference in how competitive you are as an offensive unit. The Washington offense has looked elite at moments and have been consistently good even versus good defenses. Besides last week he has been among the top fantasy quarterbacks by passing for big yardage and getting into the end zone through the air and on the ground. Overall grade= B- (because of the losing record. Not completely his fault but there is room for improvement)
3. Any theories as to why the Redskins have such a hard time winning at home? Bad luck? Something about the way the team is put together?
Last year we just weren’t a very competitive or consistent team. This year it has just been a few strings of bad luck and being out played. I like the nucleus of the team and I don’t think we are far off from beginning a new era of consistent winning. With Griffin on board, Washington is going to turn into a popular free agent spot for big time offensive names. The best defense is a great offense, so that will give us time to get younger and better on the defensive end. The home losing streak stops Sunday. (Bold prediction)
4. The Redskins haven’t had a ton of success the last few years yet Mike Shanahan remains as coach. How much longer can he survive without showing some positive results?
I believe that his job is safe through the first contract of Robert Griffin III. Consistent winning hasn’t been in Washington but the teams overall talent level has gradually gotten better over the years. I don’t think it would be fair to fire him so early in the career of the new franchise quarterback but he better figure something out quick because you never know who may become available that you can’t turn down if you get a chance to get and we all know our owner is willing to spend the bucks to get a great coach.
5. Viking fans will be curious to know about a couple of ex-Vikes who are currently members of the Redskins. I’m talking about Cedric Griffin and Madieu Williams. How have those guys looked so far for you? Cause when they left here they looked about done. We’re actually surprised anyone picked either of them up.
Williams and Griffin are two good professionals. It may have been a case where maybe they didn’t fit well in the Minnesota system or maybe they weren’t happy. I haven’t seen anything from them in Washington to make me believe that they shouldn’t have been picked up by someone. I like both of their styles of play but I wish Williams would at least look to try and intercept a pass instead of trying to commit homicide on every wide out that crosses his path. They should be motivated to have their best game this Sunday against a team that didn’t want them.
Like The Viking Age on Facebook.
Follow Dan Zinski on Twitter.
Get the all-new FanSided iPhone app.
Want to blog about the Vikings? Fill out the blogger application and join the team. Serious homers, negative types, tape wonks and general wack-jobs all welcome.
Topics: Minnesota Vikings