Today, the NFL’s competition committee met and discussed some changes to the current rules and bylaws. Here are the rules up for debate.
Here are the 13 proposals for rule changes:
1. Kickoffs moved to the 40 yard line
2. Allow instant replays on personal fouls.
3. Get rid overtime in preseason games.
4. Raise the arms of goal posts five feet higher.
5. Extra points moved to 25 yard line for line of scrimmage.
6. Place six cameras to assist replay officials.
7. Coaches allowed to challenge any official decision except scoring plays (which are automatically reviewed).
8. Eliminate hist to the side of an opponent’s legs to help prevent injuries.
9. Let replay officals confer with the NFL officiating department during reviews.
10. Re-organize and clarify what is and isn’t able to be reviewed.
11. Clock does not stop on a sack
12. Change pass interference penalties so they can be called within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage.
13.Defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage would be enforced from the previous line of scrimmage, not spot of the foul.
1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.
2. Allow 10 players on the practice squad.
3. Allow player trades prior to the start of the league year.
4. Eliminate the cut down to 75 players and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.
5. Allow more than one player to be on “designated to return” injured reserve.
6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.
7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.
1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed.
Tags: Minnesota Vikings