The folks over at NFL.com must not think too much of the Vikings chances to be competitive or entertaining this year. They have decided to exclude them from their list of the “Top 14 Games of 2014″.
Instead, the list features some games that even the most hardcore football fans might have a hard time making it through.
Here is their list of the top 14 games:
- Seattle Seahawks @ San Francisco 49ers
- Denver Broncos @ Seattle Seahawks
- Denver Broncos @ New England Patriots
- Green Bay Packers @ Seattle Seahawks
- Kansas City Chiefs @ San Francisco 49ers
- Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Chicago Bears
- New England Patriots @ Green Bay Packers
- Indianapolis Colts @ Dallas Cowboys
- Washington Redskins @ Philadelphia Eagles
- New England Patriots @ Kansas City Chiefs
- San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos
- Pittsburgh Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens
- New York Jets @ Tennessee Titans
The game NFL.com has listed as the #14 game of the year is essentially just Chris Johnson playing against his former team. However, Chris Johnson hasn’t been a premier running back in the NFL since his 2000 yard season in 2009 and has since faded into the shadows of the conversations about the best running backs in the NFL. Aside from that dynamic, the Titans and Jets offer little entertaining on the football field.
Instead, NFL.com could have featured a game starring the best running back in the game, Adrian Peterson. Peterson is always a huge media draw and an exciting player to feature on prime time television. Personally, I’m excited to see the Vikings take on the Carolina Panthers this year. Not only does it have the player dynamics that people seem to find interesting (Captain Munnerlyn, Joe Webb, etc) but it will also feature one of the most interesting quarterbacks in the NFL, Cam Newton.
Do the Vikings deserve a spot on NFL.com’s top 14 games of the year list? Which opponent do you think is their most compelling? Let me know in the comments.