More information released about the recent Everson Griffen incident

(Photo by Cliff McBride/Getty Images) Everson Griffen
(Photo by Cliff McBride/Getty Images) Everson Griffen /

Local police have released their reports detailing what happened with the Minnesota Vikings defensive end during the past weekend.

It has been a tough few days for the Minnesota Vikings. Not only did they suffer their first loss last Sunday, but defensive end Everson Griffen recently checked into a local hospital for a mental health evaluation.

Prior to the Vikings’ Week 3 matchup, Griffen was ruled out with a knee injury. However, the defensive end was not even on the sideline at U.S. Bank Stadium during Minnesota’s game last Sunday.

Following the team’s loss to the Buffalo Bills, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer was asked why Griffen was not on the sideline with the rest of his teammates. Zimmer said that the defensive end was dealing with, “a personal matter.”

On Monday, more information began to come out regarding Griffen’s current situation. It included him making verbal threats to shoot staff members at Hotel Ivy in downtown Minneapolis last Saturday and that he had checked into a local hospital for a mental health evaluation.

On Tuesday, a police report was released detailing another incident that involved Griffen on Saturday.

After leaving Hotel Ivy, the Vikings defender reportedly went to the home of teammate Trae Waynes. After opening the front door to Waynes’ home, Griffen immediately decided to leave.

Local police met up with the Minnesota defensive end shortly after he left Waynes’ house. When police asked why he went to his teammate’s home, Griffen told the officers that, “God made me do it.”

During their interaction with the Vikings defender, the police reported that Griffen made a number of comments about God, 777, and that people were attempting to kill him. He eventually agreed to go to a local hospital to be evaluated at the request of the officers.

Another call to the police was made during Griffen’s trip to the hospital. The defensive end was being transported in an ambulance and he reportedly got out of the vehicle and started walking with his hands in the air because he was afraid someone was coming to shoot him.

Police did not charge Griffen with any crimes since they stated that none were committed.

According to a police report, Griffen’s wife Tiffany said that the Minnesota defensive end had been acting abnormal leading up to his past weekend’s events.

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Vikings /

Minnesota Vikings

"“Tiffany said that Everson has not been acting normal lately. She stated that last Sunday on 09-16-18 they were sleeping and in the middle of the night he got up and left. Tiffany said that he does this from time to time as he is fighting with ‘demons’ in his head and that it’s normal for him to run away and has done this throughout his life.”"

Vikings director of player development Les Pico also told police that Griffen has been, “struggling for the past few weeks,” and that the player’s paranoia has resulted in him repeating himself, his speech becoming rapid, and his conversations being irrational.

According to ESPN’s Courtney Cronin, the Vikings told Griffen last week to focus on getting himself better before participating in another practice or game. Cronin added that Minnesota and the defensive end both agreed that he needed to get his mental health back in order before returning to the team.

Next. 5 best Vikings pass rushers since 2000. dark

When Griffen will start practicing again is still uncertain as of Wednesday. On Tuesday, Mike Zimmer said that he hopes, “for the best,” for his defensive end and that Griffen will not be traveling with the team to Los Angeles for their game against the Rams on Thursday night.