The Minnesota Vikings were expected to pick at 81 overall in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft, but a series of trades had fans frustrated with the team.
Rick Speilman has gained a reputation for wheeling and dealing draft picks. His strategy of casting a wide net to acquire talent for the Minnesota Vikings has paid off in the past and he tries to stick by this method at each of his drafts.
However, Round 3 of the 2019 NFL Draft featured some moves that kept teasing with the emotions of fans waiting to see who the next top collegiate prospect would be to join the franchise.
Here is a rundown of what happened:
- Owning the rights to pick 81, Minnesota traded down with the Detroit Lions to pick up picks 88 and 204 overall.
- Then, Minnesota took pick 88 and traded down with the Seattle Seahawks, throwing in pick 209 overall to acquire picks 92 and 159.
- Not done, the Vikings took pick 92 and moved down yet again, this time dealing the pick to the New York Jets to get picks 93 and 217.
- Finally, pick 93 was shipped to the Baltimore Ravens for the rights to picks 102, 191, and 193.
- Minnesota actually ended up using pick 102 on a player!
So where does this leave the Minnesota Vikings entering the third day of the 2019 NFL Draft? Well, they have the following picks to work with in Rounds 4-7 according to the official website of the team:
- Round 4 (No. 120 overall)
- Round 5 (No. 159 overall)
- Round 6 (No. 190 overall)
- Round 6 (No. 191 overall)
- Round 6 (No. 193 overall)
- Round 6 (No. 204 overall)
- Round 7 (No. 217 overall)
- Round 7 (No. 247 overall)
- Round 7 (No. 250 overall)
The Minnesota Vikings should be quite busy during the final day of the 2019 NFL Draft with so many picks available. Also, it shouldn’t be dismissed that these selections could also be traded, to move up or down in the round, so keep your eyes peeled to The Viking Age for draft results.