Vikings suffer tough loss to Chiefs on a last-second field goal

It was a good effort by the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, but they weren’t able to do enough to come away with a road win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

Heading into their Week 9 road matchup with the Kansas City Chiefs, the Minnesota Vikings already knew that getting a victory inside Arrowhead Stadium was going to be very difficult.

The Vikings were able to keep Sunday’s game competitive for most of the afternoon and they even held a three-point lead midway through the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, the Chiefs ended up getting a 26-23 win thanks to a 44-yard field goal by Harrison Butker as time expired.

Despite falling behind 7-0 early in the game, Minnesota was able to keep their composure and answer with their own touchdown drive that ended with Kirk Cousins finding Bisi Johnson for an easy 4-yard pass in the end zone.

The two teams traded field goals in the second quarter and then in the third quarter, Kansas City was able to re-take the lead thanks to a 91-yard touchdown run from Damien Williams and another field goal.

The Vikings still didn’t surrender though as Cousins and the offense marched down the field on an 11-play, 75-yard drive that ended with a three-yard touchdown catch by Kyle Rudolph. The score gave Minnesota a 23-20 lead with around 11 minutes left in regulation.

Despite the Vikings’ efforts though, the Chiefs were able to tie the game back up on a 54-yard field goal by Butker with less than three minutes to go. After a quick three-and-out by Minnesota’s offense on the following drive, Kansas City got the ball back with 1:47 left on the clock and Butker handed the Vikings a loss with a 44-yard game-winning field goal as time expired.

The loss to the Chiefs snaps Minnesota’s four-game winning streak and their record now stands at 6-3. There isn’t much time for the Vikings to sulk about Sunday’s results though as they now have to turn their attention to another big road matchup against the Dallas Cowboys next week.