Vikings Injuries: Updates on Brian Asamoah and Irv Smith Jr. vs. Bears
By Adam Patrick
Some key defenders are on the final injury report for the Minnesota Vikings heading into their Week 18 game against the Chicago Bears.
For the past few weeks, Minnesota Vikings rookie linebacker Brian Asamoah has seen his role with the team’s defense increase dramatically.
From Week 1 to Week 14, Asamoah was on the field for more than 20 percent of the Vikings’ defensive snaps in a game just once. Since Week 15, the rookie linebacker has been on the field for at least 27 percent of Minnesota’s defensive snaps in each contest.
Unsurprisingly, Asamoah’s increased playing time and the normal rookie wear-and-tear has him a bit banged up heading into Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears. The young defender was a limited participant in practice all week for the Vikings and he’s listed as questionable for the regular-season finale in Chicago.
Minnesota Vikings TE Irv Smith Jr. expected to be activated before Week 18 matchup vs. Chicago Bears
Minnesota coaches have recently been hinting that tight end Irv Smith Jr. would be activated off of the team’s injured reserve list in the near future, and now it appears that this will happen before Sunday’s game against the Bears.
Smith, who has been out of action since Week 8 with an ankle injury, will be added back to the active roster before this weekend’s contest in Chicago, according to Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell on Friday.
It will be interesting to see how Minnesota‘s offense utilizes the veteran tight end on Sunday and when they begin their playoff journey next week.
Below is the final injury report for both the Vikings and Bears heading into Saturday’s matchup.
Vikings Final Injury Report:
- Garrett Bradbury (C) – OUT with a back injury
- James Lynch (DL) – OUT with a shoulder injury
- Brian Asamoah (LB) – QUESTIONABLE with a knee injury
- Cameron Dantzler (CB) – QUESTIONABLE with an ankle injury
- Za’Darius Smith (OLB) – QUESTIONABLE with a personal matter
Bears Final Injury Report:
- Justin Fields (QB) – OUT with a hip injury
- Jaylon Jones (DB) – OUT with a concussion
- Sterling Weatherford (LB) – OUT with an illness
- Angelo Blackson (DT) – QUESTIONABLE with an illness
- Kyler Gordon (CB) – QUESTIONABLE with a groin injury
- Terrell Lewis (LB) – QUESTIONABLE with a personal matter