DT Tom Johnson was a pleasant surprise last year as cheap free agent and now the veteran is apparently looking to cash in.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
Per Darren Wolfson, UFA Johnson and the Vikings have touched base and it looks like Johnson is seeking a raise.
The 30-year-old Johnson made $845,000 last year with a $50,000 signing bonus. The former Saint produced 6.5 sacks in 440 snaps as an interior lineman with 22 overall tackles. PFF rated Johnson as the Vikings’ most productive pass rushing defensive tackle with 30 total pressures in 310 pass rush snaps.
Johnson also helped take up some of the slack early in the year when Linval Joseph was still battling back from his gunshot-related injury and was not as strong as he would be later in the season. Johnson himself was less productive as the season wore on, collecting only one sack in the final six games.
On the negative side, Johnson was arrested for disorderly conduct in an early morning nightclub incident that remains somewhat shrouded in mystery. The Vikings never acted like the incident was that big a deal but that won’t stop them from bringing it up in negotiations.
Retaining Johnson as a veteran backup would be a good move by the Vikings but it’s by no means critical to the team’s future that they keep him in the fold. For what it’s worth, PFF currently ranks him as the 10th best available free agent interior lineman.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022