The recent spate of veteran cuts hasn’t exactly led to a lot of new and interesting free agent options for the Vikings. But one name out there might be intriguing to Mike Zimmer as the Vikes look to add depth along the defensive line.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
Yesterday the Baltimore Ravens released veteran D-lineman Chris Canty in order to get younger and cheaper.
The 32-year-old Canty is not only still a viable player after a decent year in Baltimore, he also has ties to Mike Zimmer, having been drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in 2005 when Zimmer was the defensive coordinator. Canty grew into a good player under Zimmer’s guidance and ultimately left the Cowboys for the Giants on a $42 million/6-year contract.
Canty won a Super Bowl with the Giants and then moved on to Baltimore where he played for two years. The veteran has reportedly mulled retirement but his latest statements indicate that he means to keep playing.
Canty is obviously not the player he was five years ago but as a rotational lineman he could bring solid value and veteran leadership to the Vikings. Canty has played in multiple systems at multiple positions over the years, so the versatility factor is pretty high.
The Vikings I’m sure would love to bring back Tom Johnson, who was arguably their best pass rushing defensive tackle last year, and they would also love for a 2nd-year man like Scott Crichton to take a step up.
But if they’re looking for a little veteran insurance in the form of a low-cost player who has lots of experience and can contribute at multiple spots, then Canty might not be a terrible man to look at. It’s likely that the Vikings will allow Corey Wootton to walk, so there should be an opening.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022