The first hours of the three-day “legal tampering” period have led to a spate of signings and loads more reports about potential free agent targets for teams around the league.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
The Vikings haven’t signed anybody yet and aren’t expected to be big players for name free agents but there have been some early reports about the team targeting a few bargain players.
Pass rushing defensive lineman appears to be an area of primary concern as the Vikings begin reaching out to players and their agents for a little legal tampering. Per Ben Goessling of 1500ESPN, the Vikings have “called about” Dallas Cowboys DE George Selvie.
The word “journeyman” applies well to Selvie, a 28-year-old former 7th round pick who in his five-year NFL career has played for St. Louis, Carolina, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and the Cowboys.
Selvie’s bust out year (if he had one) was 2013 when he collected 7 sacks in 16 games for Dallas. Last year he rang up 3 sacks, one pass defensed and one forced fumble in exactly 500 defensive snaps.
Selvie would be an upgrade over outgoing rotational lineman Corey Wootton, at least according to Pro Football Focus. Selvie last year graded out at -4 while Wootton graded at a dismal -14.9.
But it’s not like Selvie lit things up last year either.
With Wootton and Tom Johnson both possibly leaving, it makes sense that the Vikings would be putting in calls to potential defensive line replacements. Mike Zimmer likes to rotate his linemen and keep them fresh.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022