More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
I don’t need to remind you how that all played out. Brad Childress and the Vikings elected to draft Cook at #34 overall, allowing Mays to slide to the 49ers with pick #49.
In the end, neither player turned out to be that great in the NFL. Cook would spend a few years in Minnesota becoming more known for off-field stuff than on-field performance while Mays would bounce from the 49ers to the Bengals.
Now, the Vikings can have a second shot at Taylor Mays if they want it. The safety is a free agent and reportedly the Vikings have reached out to him.
Mays becomes perhaps slightly more intriguing when you note that he worked for a couple of years in Cincinnati under Mike Zimmer. It should be noted that Mays started only 4 games in his three years under Zimmer’s guidance so it’s not like he ever developed into an impact player.
At best, we’re talking about a backup/special teams-level player here. Robert Blanton wouldn’t have much to worry about from a camp competition with Taylor Mays.
The young man may have some value and it helps that he knows Zimmer’s scheme but if the Vikes truly want to upgrade at safety, they’ll have to do better than this.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022