There is a little bit of news to report about a Vikings running back. No, not THAT Vikings running back.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
I know, I know…stop messing around dude, give us our Matt Asiata fix. WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT’S GOING DOWN WITH ASIATA.
Well here’s what’s going down with Asiata:
Before you go poo-pooing the value of Asiata, keep in mind that he did score 9 TDs last year. Which member of the Vikings had more than 9 TDs last year? That would be no one. Yes I realize many of Asiata’s TDs were of the one-yard-plunge variety, but those still count as 6 points the last time I looked.
Besides leading the team in TDs, Asiata also led them in rushing yards at 570. He was second on the team in receptions with 44 and fifth in receiving yardage with 312.
Are these overwhelming numbers? No. Is Asiata a featured back in the NFL? No. Is he a good piece who should be locked up for at least one more year on a very cheap restricted free agent contract? Yes.
Guess what? If it turns out the Vikings are able to draft a running back or sign a running back or even bring back Adrian Peterson, then Asiata can slot in as a goal line specialist/occasional third down back. The man has value to the team even if he isn’t some great game-breaking running back.
Signing Asiata will not stop the Vikings from looking at other options at running back. And he’s not going to cost much. So why should anyone be upset about bringing him back? Good teams need role players and Asiata is a solid one.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022