The cornerback market got a little silly today when the Jacksonville Jaguars reportedly gave Davon House a contract worth $6.25 million-per-year.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
If a career second-stringer like Davon House is worth that kind of change, what will a bona fide starter like Chris Culliver fetch?
I don’t know, but the Vikings have reportedly called Culliver to express interest.
Pro Football Focus ranks the 26-year-old Culliver as the fourth-best free agent cornerback on the market, behind only Darrelle Revis, Kareem Jackson and Rashean Mathis. If you’re keeping score at home, that means PFF ranked him above guys like Byron Maxwell, Brandon Flowers and Tramon Williams.
At 6-0, 199 lbs Culliver fits the assumed “bigger outside corner” profile we’ve been endlessly harping on all offseason. Coming from the 49ers you know he’s well-schooled in the finer points of being a tough-guy (read: borderline dirty) defensive football player.
It is my duty to point out that character-wise there have always been questions about Culliver. At the Super Bowl a couple years back, he made some stupid comments about gays to comedian Arte Lange that he later had to apologize for. There was also an incident where he made offensive comments about women on Instagram.
And then there was a 2014 arrest for misdemeanor hit-and-run where he was also charged with possession of brass knuckles.
But as a football player, there’s no denying his potential value. If the Vikings want to get bigger, stronger and nastier in the secondary, Culliver might be their guy.
But the way the cornerback market is going, they might have to overpay to get him.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022