More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
Adam Schefter reports this morning that the Bengals have agreed to a new contract with Boling worth $26 million over five years.
Boling and the Vikings were believed to have mutual interest, but the Bengals clearly outbid Minnesota (either that or Boling’s alleged interest in the Vikings was never real and the Vikes were only used to leverage more money out of Cincinnati).
With Boling out of the picture, the next-best free agent guard is probably the former Falcon Justin Blalock. Jah Reid and Eben Britton are also options. James Carpenter is still officially a free agent though it’s likely he will soon sign with the Jets.
That’s not exactly an exciting list of player. Perhaps that explains why the Vikings yesterday moved to re-sign veteran G/C Joe Berger to a new contract. The Vikings also have 2014 fifth round draft pick David Yankey in hand.
If the Vikings decide to fill their left guard hole with a high draft pick, they could go with Iowa’s Brandon Scherff. Though taking a guard that high would go against everything we’ve ever learned about Rick Spielman’s draft philosophy.
Missing out on Boling kind of hurts, but I guess the Vikes can muck through one year with Berger at left guard if Yankey doesn’t show enough to win the job. But ideally, you would like Yankey to put it together this year and become the starter.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022