Chip Kelly and the Philadelphia Eagles continue to be the Greatest Show on Earth this free agency/trade period.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
After a flurry of moves including huge trades involving LeSean McCoy and Nick Foles, not to mention the reported imminent signing of RB DeMarco Murray, the Eagles are now reportedly shopping OG Evan Mathis.
One team reported to be interested in Mathis? Yup. The Vikings.
Jason La Canfora says Minnesota is among several teams that have been “sniffing around” Mathis. The other sniffers include the Saints, Dolphins, Bills and Rams.
The 33-year-old Mathis is owed $13.5 million over the remaining two years of his contract, including $5.5 million in base salary for 2015 with a $1 million signing bonus.
All things being equal, that’s not a ridiculously huge deal for a veteran offensive guard of Pro Bowl caliber. As a comparison, Mike Iupati just signed a free agent deal with Arizona worth $40 million over 5 years with $22.5 million guaranteed. Compared to that, Mathis would be a bargain.
And Mathis arguably is a better player than Iupati, even at 33. PFF rated Mathis #2 in the NFL at guard last year despite his missing seven games with an MCL injury.
Given the Vikings’ giant hole at left guard, trading a draft pick for Evan Mathis might not be the worst idea. Earlier today, the Chiefs sent a fifth-round pick to New Orleans in exchange for guard Ben Grubbs. Would a fifth be enough to fetch Evan Mathis? The Vikings happen to have an extra pick in that round after trading Matt Cassel.
It’s definitely something to keep an eye on as we go forward. We know Rick Spielman doesn’t like giving up picks, but opportunities like this one don’t come around all that often.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022