Sources have told the Pioneer-Press that if the Vikings can’t swing a deal for Adrian Peterson before or during next week’s draft, they will no longer seek to move the former Pro Bowl running back and will instead hold onto him for the 2015 season.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
According to the newspaper’s sources, the Dallas Cowboys, Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Diego Chargers and Jacksonville Jaguars are the six teams who might do a deal. The Oakland Raiders, who were mentioned as a Peterson landing spot in a recent report by Mike Freeman, are not believed to be in the picture.
Minnesota thinks their best chance to get maximum return for Peterson would come during the draft after the top running backs are off the board.
The Vikings reportedly would seek a first round pick plus a starting cornerback in return for Peterson, though most believe a second round pick would be more realistic.
Though Peterson’s agent Ben Dogra has been adamant about Peterson’s desire to leave the Vikings, Peterson himself has remained mostly silent on the matter, perhaps fearing public backlash if he actively tries to force himself off the team.
The Vikings have remained consistent in their position on Peterson, saying they will not cut and are not seeking to trade the running back. But most believe Rick Spielman would do a trade if the right deal comes along.
If the new report is correct, the right deal will have to come along quickly or Peterson will be locked in as a Viking for the foreseeable future (whether he likes it or not).
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022