Minnesota Vikings week 17 playoff seeding scenarios
By Adam Carlson
The Minnesota Vikings decisive win over the Giants on Sunday Night Football earned the team a 2015 NFL playoff berth for the first time in three seasons.
Many members of the media were saying that the Sunday Night Football contest between the Minnesota Vikings and the New York Giants was a meaningless game. Even respected breaking-news media member Adam Schefter tweeted that it meant nothing and then later deleted the tweet after being hounded by Vikings fans about how a win would propel the Vikings into the playoffs.
The Giants were eliminated from the playoffs earlier that day when the Philadelphia Eagles were unable to beat the Washington Redskins, so the interest in regards to the NFC East title was gone. However, the Vikings got their work done, demolishing New York 49-17 in prime time.
Now, the six teams that will play in the NFC side of the 2015 NFL playoff bracket have been determined, but there is still some things to work out as far as where each team will end up in the standings.
Jan 11, 2015; Green Bay, WI, USA; A general view of a NFL divisional playoff logo before the 2014 NFC Divisional playoff football game between the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
Teams in the NFC Playoffs:
- Arizona Cardinals
- Carolina Panthers
- Green Bay Packers
- Minnesota Vikings
- Seattle Seahawks
- Washington Redskins
It is assured that the first round byes will go to the Cardinals and the Panthers. The Washington Redskins are also locked into the #4 spot, which means they will host the wild card team with the better record.
Eliminating the possibility of ties, there are three situations which can happen leading into week 17 according to FOX 9:
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022
- The Minnesota Vikings win. Minnesota would host a Wild Card game against the Seattle Seahawks.
- The Minnesota Vikings lose and the Seattle Seahawks win. The Packers would win the NFC North and host the Vikings at Lambeau in the Wild Card game.
- The Minnesota Vikings lose and the Seattle Seahawks lose. In this situation, Minnesota would own the #5 seed in the NFC and travel to Washington to play the Redskins.
The Minnesota Vikings will travel to Green Bay to play the Packers on Sunday Night Football’s January 3, 2016 broadcast. Also, the Seattle Seahawks will play the Cardinals in Arizona that same day, only earlier at 3:25 pm central time. Check your local listings for time and availability.