Minnesota Vikings: Jersey numbers for new players announced
By Adam Carlson
The jersey numbers the 4 new members of the Minnesota Vikings who were acquired in free agency will wear during the 2016 NFL season have been announced.
Minnesota has been busy during free agency this year, bringing in 4 new faces to the Vikings for the 2016 NFL season. Guard Alex Boone, safety Michael Griffin, linebacker Travis Lewis and linebacker Emmanuel Lamur have all signed deals with the team and are ready to get to work under head coach Mike Zimmer.
Related Story: Mike Wallace agrees to terms with the Baltimore Ravens
One of the smaller steps in getting these players on the field is choosing a jersey number. Some of these numbers have some historical significance or emotional connections to fans, but these 4 players wasted no time picking numbers to represent them.
Here is are the numbers each player chose and some of the players who have previously held those numbers:
#76 Alex Boone, guard
- Boone has some big shoes to fill after moving on from wearing #75 and going to #76. The 76 jersey has some great history after being worn by some of the best guards in the team’s history. Guys like Paul Dickson, Tim Irwin, Chris Liwienski and Steve Hutchinson have all worn this number proudly and been great contributors to the team.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022
#33 Michael Griffin, safety
- Griffin gets to keep the #33 that he wore during his days with the Tennessee Titans. Former Minnesota Vikings to wear this number include Brent McClanahan and 3-time Super Bowl champion Roger Craig. He’ll have an opportunity to rejuvenate this jersey number with his debut season in Minnesota.
#50 Travis Lewis, linebacker
- Lewis is another guy who gets to keep his previous number. He wore #50 for the Detroit Lions, but now he will join Jeff Siemon, Ray Berry, Pete Bercich and others as Minnesota Vikings who have worn this number for the team.
#59 Emmanuel Lamur, linebacker
- Finally, Lamur also gets to keep the #59 he wore with the Cincinnati Bengals before coming to the Vikings. That jersey number has been worn by some great members of Minnesota’s football team, including Lonnie Warwick, Matt Blair, Heath Farwell and others.
Next: 5 potential WR targets for the Vikings in the 2016 NFL Draft
It’s great to see these four members of the Minnesota Vikings take the step of choosing jersey numbers. While some of those numbers have a rich history with the franchise, there is little doubt that Boone, Griffin, Lewis, and Lamur will do their best to make the players who formerly wore those numbers proud.