The kids have been getting a little rambunctious with their wild trade rumors so Big Daddy Peter King has come in to lay down the law.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
"I spoke with a reliable Cardinals source Sunday night, and the three years and $45 million left on Peterson’s contract is an absolute non-starter with the Cards. “We haven’t had contact with the Vikings about it, to the best of my knowledge,” the source said. “And there is no way we could live with those numbers. We just got Larry Fitzgerald’s contract under control. No way we’d add that salary.”"
King thinks the Cardinals would rather draft a running back than give up a pick for an aging overpriced Peterson.
Hey, it’s possible King is right and the no-names spreading these Peterson rumors are wrong. It’s also possible that King, being in bed with NFL teams to an extent the rumor-spreading kids are not, is just doing his masters’ bidding by tamping down these reports.
Here’s one thing I’d point out: the reported money issue won’t be such an issue if Peterson re-works his contract in order to make the trade happen. And Peterson reportedly has said he would do just that.
Another thing I’d point out is that we often hear how money won’t work for this trade or that free agent signing and then after some moves, voila, the money magically works.
A third thing I’d point out is that some of the Cardinals’ top offensive players are getting up there in years, so if there’s a window there in Arizona, that window might be closing. And closing windows have a way of leading to unlikely and possibly irresponsible moves.
Sure, Todd Gurley might come in as a draft pick and run well enough to get the Cardinals in the Super Bowl one last time. But isn’t Peterson, even at his advanced age and carrying a big cap number, a safer bet if you’re looking for someone to take the pressure off your mediocre quarterbacks and lead a playoff run?
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022