Add former Cowboys DE George Selvie to the ever-growing list of free agents the Vikings have shown mild interest in only to let go without much of an effort.
More from Vikings Free Agency
- 3 moves the Vikings could still make in free agency in 2023
- 5 biggest surprises of Minnesota Vikings free agency in 2023
- 3 free agents the Vikings (might) regret not signing in 2023
- Vikings Free Agency 2023: Arrivals, departures, and rumors from Day 2
- Vikings Free Agency 2023: Arrivals, departures, and rumors from Day 1
Adam Schefter reports that Selvie has signed with the New York Giants on a one-year deal worth $1.4 million with a $200,000 signing bonus.
The 28-year-old Selvie was believed to be on the Vikings’ list after they missed out on Michael Johnson but when you consider the very small contract Selvie signed in New York, you are forced to infer that the Vikings were not all that high on Selvie after all.
The Vikings were at one time believed to be pursuing a free agent DE to push Brian Robison into more of a backup role, but now it looks like they will have to content themselves with the underwhelming veteran as the starter at DE, unless something is cooking in the draft.
A good run defender, Selvie would have seemed a snug fit as a two-down player in Mike Zimmer’s scheme. Michael Johnson would have been a better fit but he spurned the Vikings for Cincinnati.
After basically sitting out free agency, the Vikings will have to count on the draft to improve their roster. They may also be hoping for improvement from some 2014 draft picks who gave them little or nothing last season.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022