Cullen Loeffler may have signed a new one-year deal but as we’ve repeatedly learned, when you toil on Mike Priefer’s special teams unit, your contract isn’t really worth a hill of beans.
More from Vikings Free Agency
- 3 moves the Vikings could still make in free agency in 2023
- 5 biggest surprises of Minnesota Vikings free agency in 2023
- 3 free agents the Vikings (might) regret not signing in 2023
- Vikings Free Agency 2023: Arrivals, departures, and rumors from Day 2
- Vikings Free Agency 2023: Arrivals, departures, and rumors from Day 1
If you don’t believe me, just ask Chris Kluwe and Ryan Longwell.
Given Priefer’s history, it should be no surprise to hear that the Vikings are reportedly about to sign former 49ers long-snapper Kevin McDermott.
And if Priefer’s history means anything, McDermott’s arrival will be followed by Cullen Loeffler’s departure, sans competition.
The 25-year-old McDermott played last season for Baltimore after being brought in to replace the injured Morgan Cox (McDermott himself ended up getting injured). McDermott spent 2013 with San Francisco where he long-snapped in all 16 games as a rookie.
Perhaps most importantly from the Vikings’ perspective, McDermott played his college ball at UCLA where he long-snapped for current Vikings punter Jeff Locke.
Oh I see. Locke’s struggles last year were all Loeffler’s fault. So the Vikings are bringing in Locke’s old college long-snapper to help his rhythm.
Sure. That’s it.
Of course in the grand scheme of things it’s not THAT big a deal to switch up long-snappers, even when the guy being chased out of town happens to be the longest-tenured Vikings player.
It’s just always sort of amusing watching a familiar pattern play out in a totally predictable manner. The second Mike Priefer started scouting long snappers at pro days, you knew Loeffler was toast in spite of the contract.
Priefer’s gotta Priefer, as they say. At least we know Cullen Loeffler has a nice fall back waiting for him.
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022