Brandon Spikes Reportedly Called the Vikings But They Passed On Signing Him
By Dan Zinski
In case you were wondering, the Vikings presently have no interest in signing former Bills MLB Brandon Spikes.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
I know because the Vikings were reportedly contacted about Spikes Thursday night but declined the opportunity to sign the veteran.
The 27-year-old Spikes would seem like a decent free agent option at MLB, but for some reason no NFL teams are willing to give him a look.
I’m not entirely sure why Spikes is having such a hard time finding a market, but I suspect it has something to do with his perceived lack of coverage ability.
The Vikings are seen as a team that could use some help at MLB after letting 2014 starter Jasper Brinkley walk, but if the Vikes do add a Mike to the roster, they would likely prefer to draft one.
Several intriguing second round linebacker prospects have been mentioned in connection with Minnesota, including TCU’s Paul Dawson, UCLA’s Eric Kendricks and Mississippi State’s Benardrick McKinney.
If the Vikings don’t draft or sign a MLB, their in-house options include Audie Cole and Michael Mauti.
I can’t say what the Vikings’ plans are at MLB, but I have a fairly good hunch they don’t include Brandon Spikes. It might be a good idea for Spikes’ people to turn their attentions elsewhere.
Next: Is Trae Waynes Overrated Garbage?
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022