Adrian Peterson Rumors: Jerry Jones Says He Would Trade 2016 First Rounder
By Dan Zinski
Just when you thought all the Adrian Peterson trade stuff had died down for the year, along comes Jerry Jones to send a jolt of electricity through that particular corpse.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
I don’t know how we all missed it – too busy thinking about Deflategate I guess – but last Friday Jones made a statement on a radio program that rekindled the dying fire of Adrian Peterson trade speculation.
Jones was asked if he would be willing to trade his 2016 first rounder in order to acquire a player who would help his team win this year. And Jones admitted that he would, without specifically naming Adrian Peterson (via NFL.com):
"“I’d be reluctant to, but certainly if the right situation came along that could improve us now, with where we are with (35-year-old quarterback) Tony Romo, his career and where we are with what we’ve put together, it’s a good time to go for it,” Jones said, per Fox Sports Southwest."
The Vikings have made it clear that they have no interest in trading Adrian Peterson, and even Peterson’s stubborn agent Ben Dogra appears to have resigned himself to the reality that there will be no trade.
But if Jerry Jones called up Rick Spielman and told him he’d offer a first round pick in 2016 in a trade for Peterson? Spielman would have to seriously consider that offer.
Though the Vikings say they want Peterson on the team in 2015, Spielman would undoubtedly consider trading the running back if he thought it was best for the organization.
Nobody knows what Adrian Peterson’s plans are for OTAs, minicamp, training camp and beyond, but if Peterson holds out and the Vikings decide they’re fed up with his baloney? They could look to deal him, and getting a first rounder would be very attractive.
You never say never in the NFL. Jerry Jones’ remarks can be seen as re-opening the door on a possible Peterson trade to Dallas, but in truth that door was never entirely closed to begin with. Those doors are never entirely closed.
Next: Zimmer Has Already Threatened to Maim Danielle Hunter
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022