Mike Zimmer Not Sure When Adrian Peterson Will Show Up
By Dan Zinski
Mike Zimmer is going to get very very sick of answering questions about Adrian Peterson, if he isn’t already.
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
The question being asked right now is “will Adrian Peterson report for offseason activities and if so, when?”
And the answer? According to Zimmer, there is no answer. But there is perhaps an indication.
In a talk this afternoon, Zimmer gave a response to a Peterson query that when tweeted by Andrew Krammer came out sounding slightly odd.
It’s up to Adrian how much money he is willing to forfeit by not reporting. Ben Goessling recently revealed that Peterson’s contract only pays out a $250K work out bonus if he reports for 90% of OTAs. So, if Peterson misses more than one OTA session, he kisses goodbye a quarter-of-a-million dollars.
The threat of financial loss could be the only thing capable of inducing Peterson to return at this point. I’m not sure loyalty to the organization is a motivating factor for Peterson as things stand.
The other big issue is the media. The second Peterson reports, he’ll become the center of attention not just for local media types but ESPN and all the national big-shots.
I’m sure Peterson would just as soon put off that nightmare as long as possible. So don’t be surprised if he willingly gives away that $250,000. To him it’s probably a small price to pay to avoid the cameras.
Things really get hairy when minicamp comes along and the team can begin fining Peterson. By one estimation, Peterson would give away nearly $500,000 if he decides to miss minicamp and training camp.
Like Mike Zimmer says, it’s up to Adrian.
Next: Is Trae Waynes Overrated Garbage?
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022