Christian Ponder reportedly to be cut by Oakland Raiders
By Dan Zinski
Christian Ponder sure didn’t last long in Oakland. Four preseason games was the exact length of his tenure with the Raiders. Or at least that appears to be the case.
According to a report from Adam Caplan, the Raiders on Sunday are expected to part ways with Ponder, a move that will force the team to eat $1.5 million in guaranteed money.
Ponder already gone in Oakland after four games? Wow. I hope Sid Hartman won’t be too upset.
Really though, is anyone in Vikings Nation surprised by this result?
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
Those who have paid less attention to Ponder’s career arc possibly bought the idea that Ponder would be a good veteran reserve and that he would benefit from being reunited with Bill Musgrave.
But we know better. We know Ponder is a stiff.
All Christian Ponder had to do was beat out Matt McGloin for the #2 job and he couldn’t even do it. Think about that.
The Vikings’ former #12 overall pick, in year five of his career, couldn’t even lock down a backup job with the Raiders. Over Matt McGloin.
I don’t see how Ponder comes back from this. Who picks him up now? What team is desperate enough for QB help that they give sorry Ponder a third chance?
My advice for Christian: Give up the football thing and dive into the media thing. Maybe you and Sam can get a talk show going.
Wouldn’t Christian and Sam be adorable together on television?
Maybe they could do a QVC show where they sell their own handcrafted wares.
Whatever Ponder does next in his life, we wish him well. It sort of wasn’t his fault that it went sour in Minnesota.
He just never should have been drafted in the first place.
Next: Stefon Diggs saves Cordarrelle Patterson
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022