Vikings Rumors: Brandon Spikes Receives ‘Lukewarm’ Interest From Minnesota
By Dan Zinski
The Vikings are currently without an obvious candidate to start at Mike linebacker in 2015, having let Jasper Brinkley walk in free agency. But do you think Rick Spielman is worried about this?
More from Vikings Rumors
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota was trying to trade Kirk Cousins at the Combine
- Vikings odds to trade for Lamar Jackson are soaring
- Vikings Rumors: Former Chiefs receiver is on Minnesota’s radar
- Vikings Rumors: Trade calls about Danielle Hunter have been made
- Vikings Rumors: Minnesota looking to shakeup their running back room
There have been very few rumors connecting the Vikings to free agent inside linebackers. So evidently Spielman is not that worried.
Arguably the best ILB still on the market, Brandon Spikes, has reportedly received interest from the Vikings but that interest is described as “lukewarm.”
Again, the lack of a starting Mike on the roster is not a big concern for Rick Spielman evidently. Could this mean a player like Audie Cole or Michael Mauti will get a shot in 2015? Or is it a signal that the Vikings will target a Mike in the draft?
Inside linebacker is not exactly a deep position in the draft either. Most of the intriguing linebackers, players like Paul Dawson and Shaq Thompson, figure best as Will backers in a system like Mike Zimmer’s.
The Vikings have looked at some potential Mike options during the draft process, most notably Michigan LB Jake Ryan. Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman is another name that has come up in speculation. But these are not highly-rated prospects by any means.
The player many fans would like to see land in Minnesota is Rolando McClain, but McClain has loads of off-field red flags after multiple personal issues, abrupt retirements and other instances of weird behavior and might be a good player to stay away from.
Brandon Spikes seems like he would be a decent option as a two-down linebacker but again, Minnesota is obviously not crazy about what he might bring to the table.
Next: Mike Priefer Seeking Cullen Loeffler's Replacement
More from The Viking Age
- 6 biggest draft steals in Minnesota Vikings history
- Former Vikings first-round pick could reportedly return to NFC North
- Bears analyst has extremely embarrassing Kirk Cousins take
- 6 Vikings who (maybe) won’t make the 53-man roster in 2023
- Predicting what the Vikings will do in the 2023 NFL Draft based on 2022